BURN BABY BURN – Candle Heaters
A few tea-lite candles, a metal pan and some flower pots – emergency, supplemental, or off-grid heating or something else entirely?
This is a link to a YouTube Video that was sent to a family member. They were impressed with it but I know the science is wrong and the safety risks are huge.
Videos like this have been circulating on line for about 10 to 12 months now. If you do a search for candle heaters you will get dozens of videos, all variations of the same idea.
Some claim that these contraptions create heat. That claim is not true, but they do concentrate it to a point where you can sense it, or feel it. This sense-able heat is what you value if you are chilled.
They are more properly described as heat concentrators.
People are interested because it promises heating that is cheap, off grid and easily made from common materials. Useful for emergencies and power outages, etc..
All this is true….,
HOWEVER tea-lite candles liquefy when they are overheated.
They overheat when they are concentrated in close proximity.
The thin metal cups the candles sit in can then collapse, spilling flaming hot paraffin into the tray or onto a broader surface.
This creates a larger flame, and it can get hotter, and flame reaches out, several feet up and out from the ‘heater’. The metal ‘bread box’ container will get hot enough to burn and eventually ignite anything it is in contact with.
The cold temperatures and rolling electrical blackouts can make impromptu ‘heaters’ like this seem like a great idea.
So, if you must, use it for emergencies, but prepare yourself with a fire extinguisher or other means to effectively put out a fire (Not water – it’s the same as a grease fire).
And DO NOT LEAVE ANY BURNING CANDLE UNATTENDED, not even in a neighbouring room.
Remember candles burn fuel and fuel burning heaters use oxygen and release gases into the home, including carbon monoxide.
It may seem counter intuitive to open a window (a crack), but it is the smart thing to do.
This is a burn mark on a work table from one of these ‘heaters’.
Think about it.
You can also see my posting about this on https://www.facebook.com/thehouseinspector
This is my Facebook business page. I invite you to go there. Please ‘like’ my page if you have not already.
You can also ‘like’ the article, leave comments (please do) and share the information with your friends and contacts. I will reciprocate. Send me links to your business pages.
Original blog post on ActiveRain: Link to Blog Post